Table des matières

Jewish, orthodox and gay

Envoyé par Goodcomm / via ALGI en date du 22 juillet 2010 à 11h30

Bonjour,

Vous trouverez ci-joint un communiqué de presse pour la séance de signature du livre de K. David Brody, Mourning and Celebration: Jewish, Orthodox and Gay - Past and Present. M. Brody vient de se voir décerner le premier prix du Hollywood Book Festival ( http://www.hollywoodbookfestival.com/winners2010.htm ) dans la catégorie General Fiction.

Le communiqué est en anglais car le livre est en anglais (mais on espère le traduire en français bientôt !) Cependant, tout le monde est bienvenu et il serait un honneur pour M. Brody de recevoir quelqu'un de votre organisation le 1 août chez Chapters et vous parler du livre. Il parle français très bien.

N'hésitez pas à communiquer avec moi si vous avez des questions.

Cordialement,

Maria Ortiz-Takacs
GoodComm
Copywriting - Public Relations
Rédaction - Relations publiques
info@goodcomm.ca
www.goodcomm.ca

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Maria Ortiz-Takacs

(514) 793-7502

maria.ortiz@goodcomm.ca

CHAPTERS TO HOST BOOK SIGNING FOR K. DAVID BRODY, AUTHOR OF MOURNING

AND CELEBRATION: JEWISH, ORTHODOX AND GAY - PAST AND PRESENT

MONTREAL, Quebec (July 12, 2010) - Author K. David Brody will welcome readers and sign

their books at Chapters bookstore, 1171 Sainte-Catherine Street West, Montreal, on Sunday,

August 1, 2010 from 2:00 to 6:00 pm.

Brody's novel, published in September 2009, describes the experience of growing up gay in the

closed environment of a Polish shtetl (Jewish village) in the 19th century, when same-sex

relations were considered an abomination and an illness.

In the book, the author himself has conversations with his gay ancestor from another century and

another culture, who tells him about his life, his isolation and his pain, filled with dilemmas he

could not resolve. Only a brief and intense love affair gives him hope. Through a beautifully

narrated story, Brody also demystifies Jewish culture for non-Jews, and gay issues for

heterosexuals.

The novel has just won first prize in the General Fiction category at the 2010 Hollywood Book

Festival and was runner-up in the whole annual competition, which honours books worthy of

further attention from the film and TV industry.

Although I have witnessed the complete evolution of gay liberation, from a time when

homosexuality was illegal to gay marriage in Canada, there still remains latent prejudice at the

social level against gay men and lesbians. Through my work, I have tried to shed light on the

challenges we all face on this issue, as well as place my tale in a context that still exists among

ultra-orthodox segments of more than one religion,” said Brody.

The signing will be open to everyone, gay and straight, and copies of the book will be available

for purchase.

-30-

Index